The main screen of the Bitext Aligner tool will display the text of the bitext file in two columns and the menu bar at the top of the screen. Both the source and target columns are editable, and most actions can be performed within the interface with use of the keyboard.
The main menu includes a series of options to facilitate alignment, including File, Edit, Realign, Segmentation, Attributes, Feedback and Help, all of which are described below.
- Realign text with AlignFactory - This option will re-extract the text of the source document using the latest version of the text alignment tool.
- Realign with External Aligner (experimental) - This option allows you to realign the document with a new aligner that is currently under development. This aligner is particularly suited for Chinese bitexts.
- Replace TMX - This option will allow you to choose an HTML or TMX file that should replace the active one. For example, the current file can be replaced with an already corrected HTML file, e.g. a file prepared using a macro in MSWord, or with a file working in the TMX (Translation Memory Exchange) format, which is an open XML standard for the exchange of translation memory data created by computer-aided translation tools. (See Annexes I and II for a detailed description).
- Save - Choosing this option will save the active bitext to the Document Storage.
- Close - Choosing this option will close the document, to signal that the alignment session is finished.
NOTE: Please note that the Bitext Aligner tool does not save your work automatically; however, it remembers changes made to the bitext for some time. If the browser crashes or accidentally closed by the user, the user can reopen Bitext Aligner and continue editing the file. We recommend saving your file on a regular basis.
Under the Edit menu, you will find options to modify the source and target columns.
- Cut - This option will allow you to cut the highlighted content in an active cell.
- Copy - This option will allow you to copy the highlighted content in an active cell.
- Paste - This option will allow you to paste the contents into an active cell.
- Undo - This option is not available in the menu as a separate sub-menu item. To undo an action, please press the CTRL + Z buttons. The Undo feature is not available after deleting a cell or a row. If you delete a cell or a row please use the "Undo document" option.
- Undo document - This option will allow you to undo the alignment you have performed, undelete a cell or a row, or undo any changes you have made to the ibtext since the last time you saved your file.
- Redo document - This option will allow you to redo the alignment you have performed or any changes you have made to the bitext since the last time you saved it.
- Find - This option will allow you to locate information within the displayed bitext file.
- Remove empty rows - This option will remove the empty rows within the bitext automatically.
This option will allow you to re-align two misaligned cells, a range of rows or the whole document.
Each language column contains one segment, i.e., a portion of text that represents a sentence or other discrete unites of the document, such as a title. The criteria to determine what constitutes a segment are known as segmentation rules.
- Apply semicolon (';') - This option will allow you to divide paragraphs at every semicolon.
- Apply comma (',') - This option will allow you to divide paragraphs at every comma.
Choosing this option will open a pop-up window of the attributes editor. The "Common Attributes" tab will allow you to add a memo and select a number of optional keywords, which can help to identify the subject of the document. The "Custom Attributes" tab can contain additional information, such as a job number
Use the "Feedback" option to send a message to email@example.com.
Pressing "Help" will open up a new window with the Aligner User Guide