The UNTERM portal searches for terms and displays results based on the settings you have selected or the settings selected by default. Click on the Settings icon at the top main menu bar to see the different options available.
Fig. 1 - Settings menu
Below is a description of all search and display options available and customizable through the Settings menu. The options displayed in your settings will depend on whether you have an account in UNTERM and on the access rights you have been granted (editing rights, administrative rights, etc.). Once you have selected your personal settings, click onto make sure the options selected are saved.
The Settings menu is also the place where you can change your password and see your account roles, i.e. the rights you have been granted, such as the right to edit records.
The Display options can be adjusted by users to determine which information is displayed and how. The options available are:
- High Contrast: a high accessibility mode that increases contrast and font size for increased readability.
- Show all languages: an option to display all languages that are populated on a record.
- Expand all content: an option to display full content of fields regardless of length. If this option is unselected, long fields can be displayed by clicking on the more button or using the scroll arrows.
Figure 2 - Display settings
2. Record edit options
If you have editing rights, you will also see a menu for the default display when editing records.
- Default to advanced edit interface
- Default open all term fields
- Default open all language fields
- Default show internal notes
- Default show record history
Figure 3 - Record edit options
Select the languages you would like to have displayed when you search for a term. You can always add/remove search languages dynamically when using the Portal.
Figure 4 - Select the languages
4. Search type
The search portal tries to find the most relevant search results using various algorithms. The different basic search types are:
- Exact phrase search: finds records containing the words searched for in the same order, similar to performing a search with quotation marks in other engines.
- All words search: finds records containing all the words you searched for, but not necessarily in the same order.
Figure 5 - Search type
5. Search behaviour
The Fuzzy search option in this menu broadens your search by looking at possible variant spellings and other slightly different forms of words in your search string. When active, this option tends to generate long hit lists. We recommend to select this option for very broad searches only.
Figure 6 - Search behaviour
6. Search content
This option allows you to select the fields within a record that will be included in the search.
- Full text: when this option is selected, all text fields in the records will be included in the search.
- Term/title: search only in the term or title fields.
- Acronym: search only in the acronym field.
- Phraseology: search only in records marked as "phraseology".
- Footnote: search only in footnotes.
Figure 7 - Search content
This option allows you to select local or external databases for your search.
- Local databases: select this option to include in-service/bilingual databases in your searches.
- External databases: select this option to include external databases in your searches.
Figure 8 - Databases
8. Advanced/Experimental (UNDER DEVELOPMENT)
Customize the records you see with these options:
- Hide internal records: records labelled "internal" will not be displayed.
- Hide empty entries: will not display records that are empty in the languages you have selected.
- Hide English entries (in non-English fields): will not display records on which there is identical English content in the English main field and in the other languages you have chosen.