Term-level information applies to an individual term or title in a given language, as opposed to language or record-level information. Follow the steps below to add a term to your language and provide additional information about it.
1. Adding a Term
Enter the new term in the text box and wait for the system to automatically detect potential duplicates. When creating the new record, the system will propose the record type Term by default, but you can change the type in the left-hand column.
There are several functions and fields to further qualify your term or provide additional information:
- Click on Attach to add an acronym or more information, as explained below.
- Add linguistic information about the term, such as part of speech or gender.
- Click on the X to remove the term.
- Use the arrows to move the term up or down when the record has more than one term.
Add a term for another language in the corresponding target fields. If you don’t see the field corresponding to your language, add it through the top menu. To add French, for example, click on Add FR.
The fields for the target language will be displayed:
2. The Attach button: adding sources, links and context
The Attach button includes several options to add information to support your term and provide context.
- Adding an Acronym
Follow the steps below to attach an acronym to your term:
- Click on Attach>acronym to insert a new row where you can add an acronym.
- Type the acronym. The system will automatically look for duplicates and display a warning if any are found.
- Click on Add to enter the acronym. The will add a new Attach button.
- Click on Attach in the acronym line to add supporting information specifically related to your acronym.
You can also XXadd an acronym that is not attached to a specific termXX.
- Adding an ODS link
UNTERM can automatically insert hyperlinks to ODS documents in all official languages when you enter the document symbol. Click on Attach and select Add/Edit ODS link. A pop-up windown will open.
- Enter the document symbol in the text box.
- Select the language of the document. This will point the hyperlink created by the system to the language that you have selected.
- Add a Label if you would like to include the name of the document.
- Use the additional information text box to provide dates or other details.
- Click on Add if you would like include links to more ODS documents.
- The suggested links will be displayed at the bottom of the pop-up window.
- Click on Add & Close to go back to the record.
- Adding a web link
Add and name hyperlinks to support your term. Click on Attach and select Add/Edit web link. A pop-up window will open.
- Enter the link in the URL row.
- In the Label field, type the name you would like to have displayed in the record.
- Enter a Description or additional information, such us "consulted on" date.
- Click on Add if you would like include more links.
- The web link reference is displayed above the URL field.
- Click on Add & Close to go back to the record.
- Adding a term source
Click on Attach and select Add term source. A new row with the Source field will be displayed for you to enter the source information.
NOTE: You can only add one source to your term.
- Adding a term note
A note can be used to provide additional information on a term.
Click on Attach and select Add term note. A new row with the Note field will be displayed for you to enter the note.
- Adding term context
Click on Attach and select Add term context. A new row with the Context field will be displayed for you to enter the context information.
- Adding a country link
The country link function allows you to include a hyperlink to a UNTERM country record. Click on Attach and select Add/Edit country link. A new window will open.
- Type the name of the country in the search box or scroll down the list to find the country.
- Click on the country name on the list.
- Click on Add, which will be followed by the country name.
- Click on Close.
3. Adding references within fields with Ctrl+D in simplified mode
You can also add references within certain text fields, such as Source, Definition/Description or Remark. To add references in these fields, while in simplified view mode, place the cursor in the text box and click Ctrl+D. A pop-up menu will be displayed, with fields to add ODS links, web links or cross-references.
4. Adding more terms, variants or other elements
Click on the add dropdown menu on the left to see the list of options available.
The term-level options are listed below:
- Term: add another term.
- Synonym: add a semantically equivalent term with a completely different form.
- Short: add a truncated form of your term, a short form.
- Variant: add a semantically equivalent term with a slightly different form.
- Superseded: add a term no longer in use and replaced by a new term. The superseded form will appear crossed-out in view mode.
- Deprecated: add an erroneous form that should be avoided. The deprecated form will appear crossed-out and labeled as Avoid in view mode.
- Advanced>detached acronym: add an acronym that is not attached to a specific term.
Click on the option you'd like to add to insert a new row. Enter the text in the new row and click on Add or on Add+ to continue adding more terms.
5. Changing the status of an element
Click on the label to see a dropdown menu with options to change the status of an element. The options available are as follows:
Depending on the access rights you have, you might see an advanced submenu that allows you to select entry types and status based on the TBX standard for data exchange. It also indicates the current type and status in use.